Dedicated to the Beautiful and Beloved Goddess,
CHRISTINE ATHENA PARKER
~ Gift of Mystery ~
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. ~ Albert Einstein
The distant, drifting call of Owl Mantra gently guides us to and through our dreams, just like mother bear hearing Owl upon awakening from deep hibernation. Since time began, throughout the pages of history, Owl has been recognized and honored by mankind. Not only has Owl garnered respect from scientific communities, but also from ancient and indigenous spiritual cultures. Owl’s greatness lies not only in his distinct physical structure and heightened abilities, but also within the sublime world of magick and mystery, where he has been recognized and venerated as possessing the sacred symbolic qualities of wisdom, intuition, intelligence, power, protection, transition, mysticism, messages, and secrets.
One of Owl’s most prominent features, and unique characteristics, is her haunting gift of voice. We can hear her in the dark quiet of the night and early morning, sounding… Whoooo, Whoooo, Whoooo. Owl’s evocative song has the ability to draw us into ourselves, as well as outwards into the mystery of nature. “The real trick to life is not to be in the know, but to be in the Mystery”, intuits theoretical physicist Fred Alan Wolf, in the cutting-edge film, “What the Bleep Do We Know!?” Owl is the enchanted primordial path to the unknown. As we follow her, she instinctly leads us to an inner contemplation of the Divine Mystery – that sublime, exquisite place, where life gives birth unto itself.
~ OWL SPIRIT POWER MESSAGE ~
Here, hidden in the air, and in the trees, I Am.
I call you to Me.
By my voice…calling you…calling you…
I bid you enter into the realm of Mystery.
It is here where life knows itself.
For all is revealed in the sound of the wind, and the trees.
My mantra is Mystery.
I forever hold that claim,
And gift you with its name.
For as you allow Mystery to dwell within,
It will forever present be…
As a sign for you to see
The true beauty of Thee.
~ OWL ELEMENTS AND SYMBOLOGY ~
Through the physical and spiritual realms of the Five Kingdoms in Nature:
Celestial, Elemental, Fauna, Flora, and Mineral
Athena – the Greek Goddess of foresight, knowledge, wisdom, inspiration and strength. In the most accurate, earlier Greek mythology, Athena was hailed as “She Who Knows”, and Owl was considered one of the true manifestations of Athena herself, depicted as a sacred animal on her shoulder. In Athena’s shape-shifting self, Owl represents Divine Wisdom incarnate. In mythology, Owl is perceived as such because of the reflected glow from its eyes, representing the light of wisdom shining forth. Wisdom comes from faith in the mystery of life itself – where eternity and infinity meet. Max Planck, a German physicists considered to be the founder of quantum theory, succinctly stated, “Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature, for in the final analysis, we ourselves are part of the mystery we are trying to solve.” As we listen to Owl Mantra’s deep, enduring call, we can remember to give ourselves, and become a part of, the breath of life by gracefully embracing the mysteries of Mother Nature, where the soul of life truly dwells in sweet repose!
Wind in the Trees – silent sound blending with nature. There is mystery in all things. This is part of the exquisite beauty of life. As wind caresses and blows through the trees, a great mystery is being enacted: the union of soundless elements creating sound, echoing together to create natural harmonious song. Owl dwells within the wind and the trees, at one with their essence. Owl Mantra is the song of the wandering wind in the trees, calling forth and offering the mystical secrets of nature. As Henry David Thoreau so eloquently wrote in “Walden: or, Life in the Woods”, “We need the tonic of wildness…At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us…We can never have enough of nature.” When we attune to the enchanted spirit and sublime synchronicity of nature, our soul takes flight in delight, like Owl flying with the wind in the trees. In this powerful and mystical place, we can touch upon a lightness of being, and soar within the Song of Life. This is the great transition – the Gift of Mystery!
Owl – (Strigiformes) the classification belonging to a group of 200 bird-of-prey species. In the animal kingdom, Owl is the night’s equivalent to the regal eagle. One physical characteristic that sets Owl apart from other birds is its flat face with a conspicuous circle of feathers in a facial disc around each eye. These feathers can be adjusted to sharply focus on sounds from varying distances into the ear cavities. Unlike most birds-of-prey, Owl has stereoscopic, forward-facing eyes which permit a greater sense of depth perception, along with binocular vision to enhance a wider field of view. Thus, Owl is physically and symbolically endowed with a brilliant perspective. We can summon, and be inspired by, the Totem Owl archetype who can assist in delivering messages of clear spiritual insight, guiding us towards our intuition of truth within. As entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr. intuitively perceived, “The ultimate mystery is one’s own self.” When we look through the powerful spectrum of Owl’s radiant eyes, and listen to the deep, resonant call of Whoooo, Whoooo, Whoooo drifting through the aether, the internal panorama of our own mysterious secrets can be infinitely explored.
Olive Tree – (Olea Europaea) an ancient evergreen tree/shrub which can live to the great age of 2,000 years. In several cultures, mythology claims that the first Olive Tree was gifted to mankind by the Goddess Athena as an offering of spiritual and physical healing and protection. Since early history, the Olive Tree has been referred to as The Tree of Life, offering great therapeutic benefits. From early times, olive oil has been used to anoint and dress the skin for healing, and regularly consumed for its nutritive value. The Olive Tree was also considered a great source of life, and called The Tree of Light, because its oil was used for lighting oil lamps, one of the most frequently found objects in archaeological excavations. Olive oil has long been considered sacred. It has been burnt in holy temples and used for ceremonial initiation and the exaltation of priests, kings, and athletes in ancient Greece. It was known as the “eternal flame” of light, and burnt in the original Olympic Games. Thus, the Olive Tree has been honored since ancient times as a healing miracle of life – providing spiritual nourishment, enlightenment, and physical comfort to humanity. “The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible”, perceives quintessential playwright Oscar Wilde. As we see the abundant world around us, where miraculous beauty and mystery abound, there resides the life of Divine Spirit made manifest before our very eyes. Here, we may relish the Gift of Mystery with all our senses!
Nuummite – a charcoal grey to black stone, with subtle iridescent flashes of red, orange, gold, silver, yellow, green, blue, and violet. Known as the oldest mineral in existence, Nuummite is very ancient and rare, dating back three billion years, and perilously mined only in the rugged mountain terrain of Nuuk, Southern Greenland, accessible only by boat in warm months. In its essence, Nuummite is considered a black gemstone. While white reveals, black absorbs all characteristics of white, yet conceals. Black is the hidden, the great unknown, the unseen, the secret, the cosmos…the Mystery. In expanding consciousness, black is perceived as fertile, quiescent emptiness into which all life may disappear and emerge once again, birthing new potential and possibility. Nuummite is known as “The Magicians’ Stone”. Its iridescent flashing colors can enable one to see beyond the outer facade of life, and guide us on an inward journey of discovery to the inner gifts and present reality of self, where wisdom is birthed. As a personal power stone, Nuummite’s element is Earth. Drawing from this deep, primordial energy, it allows us to emerge to and from the dark, offering subtle powers from the void of creation, thus enhancing an inner strength of visionary intuition and psychic ability. “I realized it for the first time in my life: there is nothing but mystery in the world”, intuits Sue Monk Kidd, in her acclaimed novel, “The Secret Life of Bees”. Aaahhh, yes…beloved Mystery! Through the sacred night of creation, the divine secret of Owl Mantra, Whoooo, Whoooo, Whoooo, leads us into this fertile ground of growth, yielding the power of Self, where all becomes light. Yes…Mystery is the Word, and Power, of Life.
~ CELEBRATION THROUGH SACRED CEREMONY ~
Moving through the spiritual energy of our own inner Owl Mantra Totem, we can be blessed with the precious Gift of Mystery within all life. Here, within the miraculous realm of true Nature, our beautiful Infinite Self eternally dwells.
A personal ceremony can be performed to enhance the manifestation and integration with Owl’s all-embracing gift. This can be a private celebration between yourself and Owl Spirit, or you can invite others to join. It can be as ritualized as you desire, or naturally free-flowing, and include anything you want to say or any object(s) that intuitively feels in harmony with the act of thanksgiving for Owl Mantra’s blessing.
A powerful place to hold the celebration would be in a natural area with Owl’s presence, but physical location is not of prime importance. If you do not have access to this environment, any contact outside facing Owl’s auric essence would be helpful. Even if this area is hidden or at a great distance, emanations from Owl Mantra’s spiritual source are not obscured, as they flow freely throughout the Universe. If the celebration is held indoors, being in room with a window is encouraged to enhance the presence of natural elements, but if this is not possible, symbolically facing Owl Mantra would be beneficial.
As a sample list, any of the following ideas below could be included in your celebration, and verbalized during a Blessings of Intention for Mystery affirmation ceremony (see below). Also, any of these offerings may be created and integrated into your ritual either physically and/or symbolically in Spirit.
- Begin with a personal intention of Mystery to enhance any general or specific aspect of your life.
- Light a gold, yellow, or orange candle to symbolize the power of wisdom, foresight, and knowledge of Goddess Athena, whose gifts us with these sacred qualities of inner power.
- Hear the mysterious music of Wind in the Trees, representing the miraculous flight of the soul and Song of Life.
- Honor the wise, all-seeing Owl, whose magickal mantra guides us with intuitive messages towards the mystery of ourself.
- Visualize the ancient Olive Tree, symbolizing the manifestation of Divinity in the world.
- Hold the deep, dark gemstone Nuummite, or any other stone resonating the great gift of creative magick. Other related stones include Emerald, Amethyst, Sugalite, and Purpurite.
- Proclaim intentional blessings for the Gift of Mystery. A simple statement in the form of a heart-felt declaration can attract and summon the heights of magick and power through the fundamental, positive act of intention. By the sincere act of a clear and pure desire, a personalized blessing can call upon the spiritual forces of unity within life – the source of your Infinite Self. You can use any of the following Blessings of Intention affirmations as a guideline to be included into your own personal declaration towards inner harmony and integration with the energies of Heaven and Earth. Written as non-denominational statements, these intentional blessings can be practiced by any single person, or unstructured or organized group, as their own personal form of prayer, charm, chant, invocation, or medicine, etc.
- A devotional affirmation of praise, honor, and thanksgiving, as suggested in Dream Song to Owl Mantra (see below). This act of appreciation is enhanced with the powerful personal statement “I Am”, and especially when said aloud, can invoke the creative energies of manifestation radiating throughout the Universe, calling upon Owl’s Great Spirit to be infused into your life. All or part of the Dream Song passages can be included in this holy prayer of purpose and gratitude. Their power summon and embrace a wide range of natural spiritual influences, ancient mythology, and alchemical life-force energies from Native American, Deity, Celtic, Shaman, Indigenous, Pagan, and Wiccan cultures.
~ BLESSINGS OF INTENTION FOR MYSTERY ~
- With this sparkling candle, blessed by Owl Spirit, I summon the power of Goddess Athena, guiding me to the inner knowledge of personal and universal wisdom illuminating my heart and soul.
- With the song of Wind in the Trees, blessed by Owl Spirit, I embrace the mystery of nature flowing with my heart and soul.
- With Totem Owl, blessed by Owl Spirit, I see and hear an inner depth of great power summoning the truth of my heart and soul.
- With the ancient, sacred Olive Tree, blessed by Owl Spirit, I experience the miraculous Divine Mystery of all life healing my heart and soul.
- With midnight Nuummite, (or other resonating gemstone) blessed by Owl Spirit, I feel my personal power birthing creative magick in my heart and soul.
~ DREAM SONG TO OWL MANTRA ~
O Sacred Owl, I hear you calling me.
Calling me…calling me…
Into the depths of myself.
It is here where the Mystery unfolds,
And shines like a star.
Like a flower, softly blooming,
Opening to the brightness…
To the beautiful miracle of myself.
It is here where the Mystery unfolds.
Layer upon layer,
The sweet unfolding of Spirit within.
Thank You, O Owl Mantra, for your Gift of Mystery.
~ From Heaven Sweet Nature Springs ~