~ Gift of Birth ~
“I had seen birth and death but had thought they were different.” ~ T. S. Eliot
Upon the great forest floor, ferns thrive abundantly. They also grow within a wide variety of habitats – from remote mountain heights to arid desert rock crevices, to wetland environs or in sweeping meadows. As an ancient plant, ferns are older than the dinosaurs. They first appear in the fossil record of the Carboniferous geologic period 360 million years ago, and were thriving on earth 2oo million years before the first flowering plants evolved. What can be said about Fern is that it enthusiastically survives through the mystery of birth and death! During the Victorian era, when flower symbology was a popular passion in the beloved “language of flowers” trend, Fern was regarded as possessing magickal qualities, and its motif was ardently replicated in many forms. In esoteric terms, the visual wonder of viewing the birth of fern fronds from fiddleheads can imbue a spiritual sense of the miraculous. Unfurling upwards from a tight feathered spiral, the fiddlehead truly expresses the profound act of birth in all life. Let our eyes wander and marvel at this mysterious beauty of perfection, for we are, in the deepest sense, eternally birthing ourselves in the one energy of Unfurling Fern.
~ FERN SPIRIT POWER MESSAGE ~
We abound the earth with feathers, wings, and light!
Ho, we give birth to you!
With our curling and unfurling delight,
We show you the birth of Self within.
Watch our soft form take shape
Before your very eyes,
And know that We are One with you!
For our Spirit and yearning for life
Grows strong within you.
~ FERN ELEMENTS AND SYMBOLOGY ~
Through the physical and spiritual realms of the Five Kingdoms in Nature:
Celestial, Elemental, Fauna, Flora, and Mineral
Nebulae – the interstellar birthplace of stars. Nebulae is a stellar nursery composed of hydrogen clouds of gas and dust. As dense parts of these clouds compress due to gravitational forces, a slowly rotating globule is formed. The globule is then cooled by emitting infrared radiation and radio waves, but as gravitational forces overcome the gas pressure, it collapses and rotates, and then cools again as spinning increases. The spin, pressure, and temperature all begin to greatly intensify. At this point, the collapsed globule transforms into a swirling protoplanetary disk with a central core that becomes a star. Thus, the birth of a star is created within this same magickal spiraling motion as Unfurling Fern! And the death of the globule has transcended into a bright new star. Birth and death are one and the same. From the great mysterious, the sacred Source of Life births all things. Erich Fromm, German humanistic philosopher, innately expressed, “Man’s main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is.” And who can we be, besides our self? Ah, therein lies the rub, as Shakespeare so clearly put to us! Or, as he so cleverly queried: “To be, or not to be, that is the question.” We have here, the inspection of who we are. We are born, and from that minute moment, are eternally creating who we are. Our potential is infinite, and from here, wherever we are NOW, we move forward and express endlessly, our new Self, over and over and over, as our old self dies to be reborn again. We are like the death of the globule transcending into a new star – ad infinitum. Birth and death are one and the same. This is the Sacred Circle of Life. Let us join with all life, and celebrate its boundless expression of manifestation! This is the glorious eternal Gift of Birth.
Earth Birth – the seed source of life physically revealing itself. Mother Earth is the awakened being of fertility. She bestows the Gift of Birth to all earth organisms, embracing the sacredness of mystical conception. Earth Birth is the genesis, the dawn of biological life, from whence we all spring. Upon contemplation, this can guide us to the realization that we all come from One – one earth, one life, one source. Medieval German philosopher and mystic, Meister Eckhart, perceived, “We are celebrating the feast of the Eternal Birth which God has borne and never ceases to bear in all eternity… But if it takes not place in me, what avails it? Everything lies in this, that it should take place in me.” With this profound statement, we can sense that Oneness is the sacred foundation of all life. Eternal birth is life, of which we are all a part; therefore, we are a part of each other – from the celestial, to the elemental, to the fauna, to the flora, to the mineral – We Are All One! This is the hidden beauty of the Gift of Birth.
Ancient Animal Diet – fern provides fuel through the ages. Published in the journal of Mammalian Biology, it is noted that the ancient fern played an important role in the era of dinosaurs. It dominated much of the plant life during the Triassic and Jurassic eras. Ferns were a favorite food, and important bulk staple, in the giant herbivore dinosaurs’ food regimen, especially for the low-slung species who grazed closer to the ground. And, although ferns contains some toxins, many modern vegetarian mammals, birds, and insects consume certain parts of the plant, i.e., spores, tender shoots, and/or leaves. The creative Fern certainly has contributed to the birth of history! And what is our contribution? Quintessential Shakespeare perceived, “We have the receipt of fern-seed, we walk invisible.” What he was alluding to is this: some fern spores are so small, they are invisible to the human eye. Plants were considered to gift their bearers with like qualities, so we could therefore become invisible. Even though we may think our lives, throughout time, can become obscure, I assure you this is not the case! Like exquisite Unfurling Fern, we have been born with precious gifts, and these energies pass throughout the annals of time, blessing all in the realm of the seen and unseen. So, bless yourself your birth…it truly is a miracle beheld by life!
Fern – a part of 12,000 species of plants belonging to the botanical group known as Pteridophyta. The word fern is derived from the ancient Anglo-Saxon word fearn, meaning “feather”, and refers to its graceful plumed appearance. Most ferns have fiddleheads which grow into delicately divided, graceful fronds. The tightly curled fiddlehead is the visual epitome of natural nativity, as it unfurls into the beauty of a full frond. So, what does a fern leaf symbolize? It always grows again – the rebirth of Spring ever new! “Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death.” This exquisite quote by German philosopher, arthur Schopenhauer, beautifully expresses the poetry of life through the eyes of Spring. Life meets itself, over and over, through the rising and falling of birth and death. We can look upon Unfurling Fern as a powerful spiritual totem and engaging guide to live within this flowing realm with grace, like its feathery fronds, offering splendid lightness to the art of living.
Emerald – a precious gemstone with green spectral coordinates between blue and yellow. Emerald was prized by Cleopatra more than any other gem, and an emerald of the right shade of green is a treasure more highly prized than the diamond. Emerald is the sacred stone and ancient personification of the Goddess Venus, who bestows love, beauty, and fertility, and as a jewel relating to the Heart Chakra vibrating Love, it embraces and balances all aspects of life. As a multi-cultural symbol of faith, hope, and love through the ages, Emerald is honored for its embodiment of the prophecy of rebirth in Spring. “To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born”, reveals German humanistic philosopher, Erich Fromm. From the core of the sacred Emerald shines hope and love, offering healing and harmony to our souls. When we realize that we can be reborn anew, hope springs eternal, and we are in alignment with the blessings of Emerald, the great gift of rebirth.
~ CELEBRATION THROUGH SACRED CEREMONY ~
Moving through the spiritual energy of our own inner Unfurling Fern totem, we can be blessed with the precious Gift of Birth within all life. Here, within the realm of the archetypal Fern, our True Self eternally dwells.
A personal ceremony can be performed to enhance the manifestation and integration with Fern’s all-embracing gift. This can be a private celebration between yourself and Fern Spirit, or you can invite others to join. It can be as ritualized as you desire, or naturally free-flowing, and include anything you want to say or any object(s) that intuitively feels in harmony with the act of thanksgiving for Unfurling Fern blessing.
A powerful place to hold the celebration would be in a natural area with Fern’s presence, but physical location is not of prime importance. If you do not have access to this environment, any contact outside facing Fern’s auric essence would be helpful. Even if this area is hidden or at a great distance, emanations from Fern spiritual source are not obscured, as they flow freely throughout the Universe. If the celebration is held indoors, being in room with a window is encouraged to enhance the presence of natural elements, but if this is not possible, symbolically facing Unfurling Fern would be beneficial.
As a sample list, any of the following ideas below could be included in your celebration, and verbalized during a Blessings of Intention for Birth affirmation ceremony (see below). Also, any of these offerings may be created and integrated into your ritual either physically and/or symbolically in Spirit.
- Begin with a personal intention of Birth to enhance any general or specific aspect of your life.
- Light a white, silver, or gold candle to symbolize the transformative power of explosive Nebulae, the interstellar birthplace of stars, who can guide you through infinite moments of birth, death, and the rebirth of Self.
- Visualize the profound mystery of Earth Birth in all things as the great source of conception, connecting all life into One.
- Honor Fern’s contribution to the Ancient Animal Diet, whose sustainable sustenance parallels our own great gifts bestowed upon life everlasting.
- Appreciate the miraculous curling Fern, who, by its lightness of being, shows us the way to grow again through the seasons of life.
- Hold the sparkling green gemstone Emerald, or any other stone resonating the great Gift of Birth. Other related minerals include Ruby Zoisite, Celestite, Peridot, and Azurite.
- Proclaim intentional blessings for the Gift of Birth. A simple statement in the form of a heart-felt declaration can attract and summon the heights of magick and power through the fundamental, positive act of intention. By the sincere act of a clear and pure desire, a personalized blessing can call upon the spiritual forces of unity within life – the source of your Infinite Self. You can use any of the following Blessings of Intention affirmations as a guideline to be included into your own personal declaration towards inner harmony and integration with the energies of Heaven and Earth. Written as non-denominational statements, these intentional blessings can be practiced by any single person, or unstructured or organized group, as their own personal form of prayer, charm, chant, invocation, or medicine, etc.
- A devotional affirmation of praise, honor, and thanksgiving, as suggested in Dream Song to Unfurling Fern (see below). This act of appreciation is enhanced with the powerful personal statement “I Am”, and especially when said aloud, can invoke the creative energies of manifestation radiating throughout the Universe, calling upon Fern’s Great Spirit to be infused into your life. All or part of the Dream Song passages can be included in this holy prayer of purpose and gratitude. Their power summon and embrace a wide range of natural spiritual influences, ancient mythology, and alchemical life-force energies from Native American, Deity, Celtic, Shaman, Indigenous, Pagan, and Wiccan cultures.
~ BLESSINGS OF INTENTION FOR BIRTH ~
- With this glowing candle, blessed by Fern Spirit, I feel the spiraling energy of Nebulae birthing my Self in the eternal moment of NOW, ways manifesting within my heart and soul.
- With the mystical creation of Earth Birth, blessed by Fern Spirit, I feel the oneness of all life from the Sacred Source, growing within my heart and soul.
- With the sustaining Ancient Animal Diet, blessed by Fern Spirit, I feel the presence of my own enduring gifts to life nourish my heart and soul.
- With the delicate curling fiddleheads of Fern, blessed by Fern Spirit, I feel the feathery lightness of Spring offer sweetness of spirit into my heart and soul.
- With sparkling green Emerald, (or other resonating gemstone) blessed by Fern Spirit, I feel the rebirth of hope, harmony, and love shining within my heart and soul.
~ DREAM SONG TO UNFURING FERN ~
O Sacred Fern, I see my birth in you.
As your curling frond gently opens to the light of life,
I become one with thee.
I am your Spirit manifesting…
Your new life gracing me.
As we spring forth eternal life anew,
We become the Source together.
From this unfurling forth of Spirit within,
I join all life in its celebration.
I Thank You, O Unfurling Fern, for your Great Gift of Birth
~ From Heaven Sweet Nature Springs ~