~ Gift of Spirit Dance ~
“Everything in the Universe has rhythm. Everything dances.”
Maya Angelou, internationally acclaimed American author and poet
As eagle magnificently soars through the heavenly realm, so a creative cosmic rhythm embraces life. This is the unified heartbeat of all life. Resonating with this pulsating, divine dance is Drum Chant. The sacredness of drums has been physically and spiritually expressed since the beginning of time. As the world’s oldest and most universal musical instrument, its basic design has remained virtually unchanged for thousands of years. Although Drum is not typically considered a natural being by the modern masses, its essence is composed of nature’s corporeal and related spiritual components. Indigenous nations, and intuitive modern man, have always honored Drum as a living being, whose organic and sacred essence sings in harmony with the core of Mother Earth, and the celestial Music of the Spheres. Dating back to 6000 BC, many ancient societies used Drum’s powerful percussive voice for social communication between state and community. As early as 1500 BC up to the present day, military and political actions have relied on drumming to motivate, organize, sound proclamations and commands, and send signals, etc.
Native cultures traditionally evoked Drum’s mystical chanting power to enrich tribal councils and pow-wows, manifest shamanic distinction, use as a trance path to enrich and heal soul journeys, and enhance other ritualized and religious customs. Much of this spiritual practice continues to be honored and performed in modern sacred ceremony. Drum’s collective voice is the most primordial tribal world beat into the heart and rhythm of life-forces pulsating throughout the Universe.
Recently, an expanded psychological interest in the benefits of drumming as a valuable tool for personal and public expression, recreation, and support, as well as to help stimulate inspiration towards intentions and aspirations, has been growing within healthcare systems, prisons, and therapeutic practices. This ancient art has come full-circle, and is increasingly used as an individual and community pathway to spiritual, emotional, and physical integration and well-being. Drum Chant offers the Gift of Spirit Dance. As we commune on a deep level with ourselves and all beings through its voice, it lifts us ever-upwards into the divine dance of cosmic unity.
~ DRUM POWER MESSAGE ~
I am Spirit of Drum,
And we are the Voice of One.
I call you from far away –
From the heart of Sacred Earth.
Hear me calling you…calling you…
The Beat of One.
Into the depths of Mother Earth,
Mingling with Father Sky,
Your Spirit flying high!
Hear me, O Daughter – Hear me, O Son.
Drum Chant, Spirit Dance,
As we become a part of One.
~ DRUM ELEMENTS AND SYMBOLOGY ~
Through the physical and spiritual realms of the Five Kingdoms in Nature:
Celestial, Elemental, Fauna, Flora, and Mineral
Grandfather Wisdom – the sacred elder archetype Timekeeper, who intuitively knows the internal rhythms of natural life. Grandfather Wisdom walks the Earth in perfect time. His divine knowledge can teach us about our own internal “clock”, which resonates with the universal life-pulse in all things. This is the sacred return to living in natural time. Here is where our ageless souls, our Infinite Selves, eternally dwell. As we endeavor to consciously reconnect to Nature’s wisdom, and attune to this magickal expanse of life’s organic movement, a mystical blessing of holistic liberation can be experienced, and our true heart within beats in synch with the flow of creation. This is the Gift of Drum Chant, where our spirit has the inherent opportunity to dance amidst the eternal, unified, and wondrous realm of the cosmos. “How can we know the dancer from the dance?” So serendipitously questions William Butler Yeats, Irish poet and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature. There is no distinction between them when we flow with Drum’s Spirit into the timeless grace of celestial space! The ancient, mystical Mayans were the most advanced time wizards to honor Mother Earth. Spiritual guide Jose Arguelles, the original messenger of the Mayan Prophecy of 2012 and internationally acclaimed author of The Mayan Factor, clarified the significance of their wisdom, sharing visionary insight regarding “natural time” versus “artificial mechanical time”. We are now being called by Grandfather Wisdom, as the ancient Mayan prophesied, to comprehend and experience that We are Time! It is in our very blood. Let us graciously and joyfully accept the cosmic invitation from our wise Grandfather Timekeeper to remember that natural time cycles are living within our sacred bodies in harmony with Nature’s daily rhythms and seasonal cycles. And…The Beat Goes On – O Yea!
Earth Beat – the energetic life-pulse of Mother Earth, our sentient, living planet. Humans have been drumming on something, including our own bodies, since the dawn of man. This primal, elemental act is embedded deep within. It is an instinctive, fundamental part of our connection with earth, and the vast cosmos. Earth Beat is the sacred movement of all life. It makes the ant walk, the plant grow, and the sun flame. Its source is not at the minute sub-atomic level, as atoms also dance to this universal beat. Rather, its source is the primary mystery of the essential core of life: the transcendent quantum consciousness of Divine Creation. Drum Chant is an entrancing path that can initiate flow with Earth Beat’s intrinsic unity. Through the beat of Drum, we sing with the voice of One, where we can consciously dance to this infinitely shared rhythm. As Joseph Campbell, prolific American author, teacher, mythologist and philosopher perceived, “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the Universe, to match your nature with Nature.” This is the Gift of Spirit Dance – a journey to “follow your bliss” into the natural realm – a re-awakening to the pure magick of creation’s flow. If we allow ourselves to harmonize with this internal tempo, we can find a pathway to make space for our innate timing sensibilities to manifest, wisely moving us through the natural unfoldment of life, grounded by our embracing union with Earth Beat.
Nature’s Sacred Bodies – compose the constructed essence of authentic, traditional drums. Until the late 1950’s, the exclusive use of Nature’s Sacred Bodies were almost always used to construct drums. Earth’s symbolic totems were deeply honored by the indigenous peoples who trapped the animals and procured materials from natural resources, crafting drums for a multitude of purposes within their community. Rawhide skins used for the drum heads included: goat, elk, steer, deer, moose, horse, buffalo, bear, fish, and alligator stretched on natural-hewn frames created from wood, metal, or stone native to the land. These sacred elemental beings – animals, botanical, and minerals – live in complete harmony with life. And it is from them and their gifts, when we join in Spirit Dance, that we feel their primal divine connection as it flows to and through us, in the instinctive movement with the infinite celestial clock of “non-time”. The wise and ancient Hopi Indians sublimely declared, “To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.” And the heart speaks in the language of Nature. Our deep, instinctive spirituality can guide us to honor Drum as a liberating universal path, uniting us with the eternally conscious body and soul of cosmic life. We sing with the Voice of One with the beat of Drum.
Saguaro Cactus – (Carnegiea Gigantea) – a tree-size cactus found in the desert areas of Mexico, Arizona, and California. This majestic Grandfather of the plant world can live to be 300 years old, reaching to a towering 70 feet tall! But its growing process is slow – about one inch a year – and night-blooming flowers and fruit only begin producing at the ripe old age of about 120 years. Thus, Saguaro shows us the value and integrity of patient intention within the essence of earthly time. Embracing the growing process of worldly experience can help us reach the blossoming heights of fruition of our own personal power. This is the Earth Walk. Grandfather Saguaro walks the path of sacred ancient wisdom and dignity with stamina and purpose – the heart of Drum Chant – the constant, grounded tempo of earth’s pulse. This is a vital place of inner strength and life-force, available to us all, and, like Saguaro Cactus, we can sustain this power over long periods of time. It is indeed serendipitous to note the auspicious truth that the heartbeat of Drum Chant gifts us with the sacred dichotomy of being mutually grounded and liberated simultaneously! As we endeavor to make friends with patience, this allows the wisdom of the ages flowing through Drum Chant’s sacred heritage to breathe into our psyche. This is a deep connection, where we unite with our ancestral legacy in harmony with those souls who honored Mother Earth’s natural rhythms. With patience, we can be guided into the freedom of cosmic timelessness – the infinite space of no-time – dancing with the Spirit of our Soul. As Stacey Charter, cancer survivor and notable quote-master of life affirmation, divines, “Life is about timing…the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable becomes available, the unattainable becomes attainable. Have patience, it’s all about timing.” Let us go in the direction of our, but with patience. Give yourself time, Dear Souls! Time can be our ally. It can guide us, step-by-step, to our true journey home.
Tiger Iron – a member of the Quartz family from Australia and South Africa, formed in a striking blend of earth colors: silvery black Hematite and Red Jasper with iridescent banding often including Yellow Jasper or Golden Tiger Eye. Tiger Iron is used in spiritual circles to enhance grounding, balancing, clarity, and creativity. As a powerful lower sacral and root chakra stone, it is deeply connected to the earth element, raising life-force energy to center the self, thus strengthening physical vitality and emotional integrity with motivational confidence and willpower. Since the root chakra harmonizes with the heartbeat of Mother Earth, Tiger Iron is a journey stone resonating with world beat tribal music composed of drum, chant, and dance. These are some of the most natural, primal physical expressions of self in the sacred act of letting go and letting Spirit flow. An ancient West African proverb intuits, “The rhythm is in your blood.” Blood is the vital life-giving power pulsing through our veins. It is the stream of Earth’s powerful essence coursing through our bodies, manifesting and sharing dynamic energy. Drum Chant’s gift of Spirit Dance is the divine counterpart to this physical bloodline. As we let ourselves flow “into the mystic” of the cosmic body encompassing all life, a rising, intimate joy and harmony can occur in perfect balance with the Universal Heartbeat. Aaaaaaaahhhhhh…It Is So…Let It Flow!
~ CELEBRATION THROUGH SACRED CEREMONY ~
Moving through the spiritual energy of our own totem Drum Chant within, we can be blessed with the precious Gift of Spirit Dance in conscious awareness to all life. Here, within the realm of Divine Time, our True Self eternally dwells.
A personal ceremony can be performed to enhance the manifestation and integration with Drum’s all-embracing gift. This can be a private celebration between yourself and Drum Spirit, or you can invite others to join. It can be as ritualized as you desire, or naturally free-flowing, and include anything you want to say or any object(s) that intuitively feels in harmony with the act of thanksgiving for Drum’s blessing.
A powerful place to hold the celebration would be outside in a naturally wild area among Nature’s Sacred Bodies of animal, botanical, and mineral, but location is not of prime importance. If you do not have access to this environment, any contact outside is within their auric presence, and would be helpful. If the celebration is held indoors, being in room with a window is encouraged to enhance the presence of natural elements, but if this is not possible, symbolically facing a natural area would be beneficial. Even if this locality is hidden or at a great distance, emanations from Drum Chant’s spiritual essence are not obscured, as they flow freely throughout the Universe.
As a sample list, any of the following ideas below could be included in your celebration, and verbalized during a Blessings of Intention for Spirit Dance affirmation ceremony (see below). Also, any of these offerings may be created and integrated into your ritual either physically and/or symbolically in Spirit.
- Begin with a personal intention of Spirit Dance to enhance any general or specific aspect of your life.
- Lighting an earth-colored candle to personify Grandfather Wisdom, the Timekeeper, who can guide you to restore your “natural time” in harmony with Mother Nature.
- Feeling the vital pulse of Earth Beat with your body, sharing with you the inner knowledge of life’s natural rhythms.
- Honoring Nature’s Sacred Bodies – the animals, botanicals, and minerals – who dwell purely within the heartbeat of Mother Earth.
- A drop of the majestic Saguaro Cactus flower essence on your tongue to help align vertically to the virtues of a higher order for personal growth.
- Holding the gemstone Tiger Iron, or other stone resonating unity with Earth’s energetic rhythmic core. Other gemstones associated with the Root Chakra which can enhance this grounding primal heartbeat include Hematite, Tan Jasper, Obsidian, Clear Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Epidote, Bismuth, Fluorite, and Black Tourmaline.
- Intentional blessings for the Gift of Spirit Dance. A simple statement in the form of a heart-felt declaration can attract and summon the heights of magick and power through the fundamental, positive act of intention. By the sincere act of a clear and pure desire, a personalized blessing can call upon the spiritual forces of unity within life – the source of your Infinite Self. You can use any of the following Blessings of Intention affirmations as a guideline to be included into your own personal declaration towards inner harmony and integration with the energies of Heaven and Earth. Written as non-denominational statements, these intentional blessings can be practiced by any single person, or unstructured/organized group, as their own personal form of prayer, charm, chant, invocation, or medicine, etc.
- A devotional affirmation of praise, honor, and thanksgiving, as suggested in Dream Song to Drum Chant (see below). This act of appreciation is enhanced with the powerful personal statement “I Am”, and especially when said aloud, can invoke the creative energies of manifestation radiating throughout the Universe, calling upon Drum’s Great Spirit to be infused into your life. All or part of the Dream Song passages can be included in this holy prayer of purpose and gratitude. Each affirmation is a personal journey to summon and embrace a wide range of natural spiritual influences, ancient mythology, and alchemical life-force energies from Native American, Deity, Celtic, Shaman, Indigenous, Pagan, and Wiccan cultures.
~ BLESSINGS OF INTENTION FOR SPIRIT DANCE ~
- With this enlightening candle, blessed by Drum Spirit, I follow Grandfather Wisdom, the sacred elder Timekeeper, who guides me to dance Nature’s rhythmic Spirit time sparking within my heart and soul.
- With the natural pulse of Earth Beat, blessed by Drum Spirit, I am guided to move with the Divine Dance of Spirit within, to follow my bliss in pure harmony with my heart and soul.
- With Nature’s Sacred Bodies of animal, botanical, and mineral, blessed by Drum Spirit, I dance with their souls to the eternal cosmic beat of all life dwelling within my heart and soul.
- With the noble flower essence of Grandfather Saguaro Cactus, I feel the healing aura of wisdom, patience, and personal power, gifted to me by my sacred ancestors of Earth Time, growing in my heart and soul.
- With earth-iridescent Tiger Iron, or other resonating gemstone, blessed by Drum Spirit, I feel my Root Chakra unite with the bloodline of Mother Earth’s blessed heartbeat, grounding me to unity and joy balancing my heart and soul.
~ DREAM SONG TO DRUM CHANT ~
Rising from the depths of Source,
I dance in Spirit with the beat of Drum.
Heart beat, Earth beat,
Beat as One.
Earth Mother moves through my blood,
And I am grounded to fly, rising up and soaring high.
Drum Chant, Spirit Dance
Beat as One.
We dance, we chant,
We move as One.
I am the Song of my Soul.
Heart beat, Earth beat,
We are One.
And the Beat…Goes…On…
Thank You, O Drum Chant, for your Gift of Spirit Dance
~ From Heaven Sweet Nature Springs ~
The Mayan Factor, by Jose Arguelles
Power of Flowers, by Isha Lerner